Saturday, August 22, 2015

A Sprint to the End of Training

As part of my training for next month's Diamondman, I signed up for the popular Top of Delaware Triathlon in Newark. I was hesitant about the hilly bike course, as I've done most of my rides this summer on the flat roads of Sussex County. But the opportunity to swim in the reservoir and get one last practice race in was worth it.

Come race day, I was a little tired from riding the Shorefire metric century the day before, so I focused on making the event a training brick.

I pulled into the parking area alongside my trainer, former neighbor and tri buddy Michele Fidance. The two of us, along with our friend Michelle from the Y, did Escape the Cape together earlier this summer and agreed we'd tackle this one, too.

With a small field (nearly 300), packet pick up was a breeze. We moved into transition, where the racks were helpfully marked with our race numbers, allowing each athlete a comfortable amount of space to use.

Tattooing proved the most annoying part. Someone please explain why Piranha insists on temporary tats, instead of the tried and true Sharpie. I'm thinking it has something to do with ink rubbing off overnight or under sunscreen, but the application - and removal - process is a pain. Not trusting ourselves to apply the stickers properly, Michele and I waited nearly 20 minutes for volunteers to apply our numbers. Once marked, we were ready to go.

All athletes met at the top of the reservoir for the pre-race announcements. Unfortunately, it was very difficult to both hear and understand the race director who made the announcements. (I understand that he has a hearing impairment, but with so many first-time triathletes and race newbies participating, it's important that the announcements be clear and audible.)

1/4 Mile Swim
Tri-Dawg and member of triathlon royalty Brooke Saunders sang the national anthem (before going on to take first female overall!), and the men's heat took off. Three minutes later, it was our turn for the in-water start. I lined up with a couple of other Tri-Dawgs in the front of the heat to take advantage of my strongest event.

Swim was great - clean water and a temp of 77 made a wetsuit unnecessary, and we cruised to the first buoy, passing several of the men in the first stretch. We rounded the second and headed for a home - the 400+ yard distance taking about 6 or 7 minutes. Out of the water, I grabbed my shoes and headed downhill to transition - about a 1/3 of a mile, which had to be brutal for those who opted to run barefoot!

As I prepared to head out on the bike, I realized my rookie mistake of not checking my helmet fit prior to the race. (On the ride the day before, I had tightened my chinstrap, which proved too tight on race morning.) Another minute lost in transition.

11.4 Mile Bike
Out on the course, I was surprised by how strong I felt on the bike, considering Saturday's ride. The initial rollers were a breeze, and as we turned onto the back roads, I was anticipating a faster ride than planned.

What I immediately noticed was how little course support there was. Piranha put out an excellent athlete guide and noted that officers would be manning the major intersections - but I don't recall seeing any of the motorcycle support indicated. As we came up Hopkins Road, the open course became an issue as a truck heading up the hill was stuck behind cyclists and unable to pass, with a car heading in the opposite direction. Three of us nearly collided as we tried to maintain momentum and ultimately ended up dismounting until we could get through.

The hills were no joke, but following the advice of previous participants, I didn't ride my brakes on the descents and managed to get enough momentum to propel me up the next hill. As I came up the final ascent on Paper Mill Road, I was first on the scene to a crash involving another Tri-Dawg. Fortunately, both cyclists were fine, but again - no course support around had anyone been seriously injured.

I foolishly hadn't geared down before stopping, so the combination of too much gear and too steep a hill meant I had a lot of trouble getting going again. With the help of a neighboring driveway, I managed to get moving and finished out the bike loop.

2.6 Mile Run
With a shorter T2, I headed back up the path to the reservoir. I wasn't expecting a strong run and was relieved that a portion of it was out of the sun on the trails. Finishing out the reservoir loop, my favorite cheerleader Darlise and her partners in crime John and Laura urged me on, which gave me a boost for a downhill sprint and the final 300 yards straight up the hill.

Great to hear so many Tri-Dawgs cheering us up that final brutal stretch! Medal in hand, I was happy to get a Coke, water and strawberry gelato before connecting with the rest of the group for a team photo.

I was satisfied with my overall time, although a few minutes saved on the ride and in transition might have earned me an age group place. Live and learn.

I'm preparing for the peak week of my training and am both relieved and sorry to see it come to an end - as Jimmy B. says, "Yes, it's been quite a summer..." Looking forward to Diamondman - and some time off in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment